Story-telling: Moral Formation & Agape
I recently presented on story-telling at the annual Center for Ethics and Culture Conference at the University of Notre Dame.
In the talk I reference the ragamuffin first page (pictured left). I also ask Dr. Matthew Muller, professor at Benedictine College about David Lapp's talk at the 2017 Symposium on Advancing the New Evangelization held at Benedictine College. Call for papers on the theme of "Humanae Vitae 50 Years Later: A Call to Self-Gift" for Benedictine College's 2018 Symposium is now open at www.benedictine.edu/symposium.
Elizabeth Russell is a writer and teacher; you can check out her interesting original and re-told tales at thefairytaleblog.com and her website at https://elizabethrussellauthor.com/. She attended the talk, and I am grateful to her for asking the final question about finding good stories. Following her question, several people came up afterwards to discuss reading suggestions. There were some delightful students from the Augustine Institute, as well as Hillsdale College and Trinity School. We had a great conversation about some of the following recommended books: Jane Austen's Persuasion, Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited, Kenneth Grahame's Wind in the Willows, C. S. Lewis' Till We Have Faces, and Agatha Christie's Miss Marple (the best book about her being possibly Nemesis). Here is the presentation:
