Another Tack

Christ asks His own Questions (from the Gospel of Matthew)

I was moved by a question I heard in a homily: "What if someone collected all the questions Christ posed? What would we answer to these questions?" So I compiled a list, just from the Gospel of Matthew--the questions Christ asked. What can we answer?

  • You are the salt of the earth. But if salt loses its taste, with what can it be seasoned? (Mt 5:13)
  • If you love those who love you, what recompense will you have? Do not the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brothers only, what is unusual about that? Do not the pagans do the same? (Mt 5:46-47)
  • Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds in the sky; they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you more important than they? Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span? Why are you anxious about clothes? Learn from the way the wild flowers grow. They do not work or spin. But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was clothed like one of them. If God so clothes the grass of the field, which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow, will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith? So do not worry and say, 'What are we to eat?' or 'What are we to drink?' or 'What are we to wear?' (Mt 6:25-31)
  • Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove that splinter from your eye,' while the wooden beam is in your eye? (Mt 7.3-4)
  • Which one of you would hand his son a stone when he asks for a loaf of bread, or a snake when he asks for a fish? (Mt 7.9-10)
  • By their fruits you will know them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? (Mt 7.16)
  • Why are you terrified, O you of little faith? (Mt 8.26)
  • Why do you harbor evil thoughts? Which is easier, to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Rise and walk'? (Mt 9.4-5)
  • Do you believe that I can do this? (Mt 9.28)
  • What did you go out to the desert to see? A reed swayed by the wind? Then what did you go out to see? Someone dressed in fine clothing? Those who wear fine clothing are in royal palaces. Then why did you go out? To see a prophet? (Mt 11.7-9)
  • Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?" (Mt 12.48)
  • Do you understand all these things? (Mt 13.51)
  • You of little faith, why did you doubt? (Mt 14.31)
  • And why do you break the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? (Mt 15.3)
  • How many loaves do you have? (Mt 15.34)
  • Who do people say that the Son of Man is? But who do you say that I am? (Mt 16.13-15)
  • What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? Or what can one give in exchange for his life? (Mt 16.26)
  • Faithless and perverse generation, how long will I be with you? How long will I endure you? (Mt 17.17)
  • Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? (Mt 18.1)
  • What is your opinion? If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them goes astray, will he not leave the ninety-nine in the hills and go in search of the stray? (Mt 18.12)
  • Should you not have had pity on your fellow servant, as I had pity on you? (Mt 18.33)
  • Why do you ask me about what is good? (Mt 19.17)
  • Why do you stand here idle all day? (Mt 20.6)
  • What if I wish to give this last one the same as you? (Mt 20.14)
  • Are you envious because I am generous? (Mt 20.15)
  • What do you wish? (Mt 20.21)
  • Can you drink the cup that I am going to drink? (Mt 20.22)
  • What do you want me to do for you? (Mt 20.32)
  • Where was John's baptism from? Was it of heavenly or of human origin? (Mt 21.25)
  • What is your opinion? A man had two sons. He came to the first and said, 'Son, go out and work in the vineyard today.' He said in reply, 'I will not,' but afterwards he changed his mind and went. The man came to the other son and gave the same order. He said in reply, 'Yes, sir,' but did not go. Which of the two did his father's will? (Mt 21.28-31)
  • What is your opinion about the Messiah? Whose son is he? They replied, "David's." He said to them, "How, then, does David, inspired by the Spirit, call him 'lord,' saying: 'The Lord said to my lord, "Sit at my right hand until I place your enemies under your feet"'? If David calls him 'lord,' how can he be his son?" (Mt 22.45)
  • Why do you make trouble for the woman? (Mt 26.10)
  • So you could not keep watch with me for one hour? (Mt 26.40)
  • Are you still sleeping and taking your rest? (Mt 26.45)
  • Do you think that I cannot call upon my Father and he will not provide me at this moment with more than twelve legions of angels? But then how would the scriptures be fulfilled which say that it must come to pass in this way? (Mt 26.53-54)
  • Have you come out as against a robber, with swords and clubs to seize me? (Mt 26.55)My
  • God, my God, why have you forsaken me? (Mt 27.46)

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails