Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)

For those who loved Kenneth Graham's poignant writing mixed with droll humor in The Wind and the Willows, for those who were fascinated with Belloc's ramblings in The Path to Rome, for those who laugh out loud at the polished audacity of P. G. Wodehouse characters, comes an obscure novel we should all have read a long time ago. I'm talking about Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog).

Looking for more librivox.org readings by Peter Yearsely (see Tradition & Grizzlebeard post here), I came across three chapters of Jerome's book. I gave them a try and found myself laughing aloud, just as (I discovered later) my grandfather used to sit up late and laugh aloud over this book. It was, apparently, his favorite work.


It begins thus:


THERE were four of us - George, and William Samuel Harris, and myself, and Montmorency. We were sitting in my room, smoking, and talking about
how bad we were - bad from a medical point of view I mean, of course.

Download Peter Yearsely reading Ch. 13, 15, & 19 here. Download the text here. Or just buy the bally book here, and have as good a time as ever a True Sailor did. My family took turns reading it aloud this Christmas. It is "a find."

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails